School Closings & Delays
Closing and Notification Procedures
Important notices about closings or delays (ie: inclement weather or safety concerns) will be sent to parents and guardians through the messaging system in Infinite Campus.
- Please be sure that your parent/guardian contact information is accurate and any changes phone numbers and email addresses are correct throughout the year.
- Messages will be sent to all methods selected “Priority” in the parent/guardian Infinite Campus account under "Notification Settings".
- You can choose to receive messages via any/or all inbox, email, voice, and/or text options. For assistance in updating your notifications, please see your school's main office personnel.
- the SDJ Facebook page
- the SDJ website
- WCLO AM 1230 Radio
- the Janesville Gazette, and other local radio and TV stations.
If the closing is weather related, information will be communicated to the public the night before (if possible) or no later than 6:00 a.m. on the day of the closing or delay. There will be no athletic contests and practices on days school is canceled due to weather related reasons. On days when school is in session and weather worsens, the same notifications will be used to make the announcement about after school activities by 2:00 p.m. that day.
Decisions to cancel school are ultimately made by the Superintendent in coordination with the School Staff, the Janesville Transit System, the Van Galder Bus Company, the regional Meteorologist, and other area Superintendents. These decisions are based on the passage of city streets, safety of rural students, and information from the county highway and city street departments.
- P4J Programs: If school is closed, all Preschool 4 Janesville (P4J) programs located at Adams, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison and Wilson elementary schools will also be closed. For one or two-hour delays, Adams, Jackson, Jefferson, Madison, and Wilson P4J morning programs will be cancelled, but afternoon sessions will take place as regularly scheduled. For all other P4J sites, be sure to contact your P4J site coordinator to confirm their plans for closings or delays.
- Make-up Days: The SDJ school calendar has several days built in to accommodate weather delays/closures. However, should the district exceed those buffer days, state law requires the SDJ to make-up days to meet the minimum number of hours of direct pupil instruction (http://dpi.wi.gov/cal/days-hours).
Parents/guardians always have the option of keeping their child home due to inclement weather. Please be sure to call your child’s school to report the decision to keep them home. Your child will receive a principal excused absence. The School District of Janesville has a great team that will be clearing sidewalks and parking lots/playgrounds, and keeping the heat on in the buildings as we maintain our promise to prioritize the safety, health, and wellness of our school community.