Entering Kindergarten marks a very important time in the life of your child. It is our goal to make the kindergarten experience a worthwhile, meaningful year in the public school education of your son or daughter. The School District of Janesville provides a kindergarten program, which enhances the way a child develops in the early years and provides school experiences that will meet the student’s needs. We extend a warm invitation to you to work with us in the joint task of developing your child’s abilities to the fullest.
Dates for kindergarten enrollment for students residing in the School District of Janesville boundary lines and attending Kindergarten in September of 2018 are:
December 4 - 8 and December 11 - 15:
- 7:30am-5:00pm Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (both weeks)
- 7:30am-5:00pm on Tuesday, December 5 and Thursday, December 14
- 8:00am-7:00pm on Thursday, December 7 and Tuesday, December 12
- Children must be five years of age on or before September 1 to be eligible to enter kindergarten for the following school year.
- If your student is already enrolled in a School District of Janesville Pre-School for Janesville (P4J) or Early Childhood (EC) program (those held at Adams, Jefferson, Jackson, Madison and Wilson elementary schools), you WILL NOT NEED to re-enroll them.
- All other students enrolled in the community P4J sites not mentioned above WILL NEED to complete enrollment at the New Student Enrollment Office of the Educational Services Center (ESC), located at 527 S. Franklin Street.
Please call our enrollment office for any additional questions at 608-743-5006.
To enroll kindergarten students, parents/guardians should bring the following to the ESC:
- Birth certificate,
- Immunization Record,
- Proof of residency (copy of lease or purchase agreement or the top portion of a utility bill,) no computer printouts
- Parent/guardian photo identification.
If a Kindergarten aged student DOES NOT RESIDE in the School District of Janesville boundaries AND IS NOT currently enrolled in at School District of Janesville P4J or Early Childhood program - parents must also apply for Open Enrollment that takes place February 5 through April 30, 2018.
The kindergarten curriculum may be defined as all the experiences through which children learn while they are in school. Because children’s interests vary, the program provides opportunities for children to make choices and for each child to work and play at his/her own pace and to participate in group instruction. Not all kinds of experiences are necessary for children, nor do all children need to experience everything at the same time.
A kindergarten day includes: literacy skills (pre-reading and reading skills), language arts (stories, fingerplays, dramatization), handwriting, mathematics, health and science, social studies, music and rhythms, art (cutting, painting, drawing), and physical education (games, large motor activities).
Each school provides regular developmental progress reports. Parent-teacher conferences, participation and involvement are encouraged at all schools.
Individual School Information
Please call your neighborhood elementary school for specific school information. The principal will appreciate having the opportunity to meet you and to answer your questions. Contact information for schools can be found on this map.
Home School Attendance Areas
Students residing in the home school attendance area of an elementary school shall attend that school unless otherwise granted a School Transfer/Placement Within the School District (Parent Choice) through the Administrative Services office at 743-5006. Parental choice requests should be turned in during the two week Kindergarten Enrollment period that happens in December.